Tuesday, January 20, 2009

BABY ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

Sam Chambers Biddy is here!!!



Sam arrived Monday morning at 7:03 am.  He came just in time to celebrate Martin Luther King Day, as any good Harlem baby should.  He weighed a solid 8 lbs, 5 oz., which is a pretty good size for a 'first baby.'  And he's long, lean and lanky at 21.5 inches!  

Here's the whole story....

Jess had been having contractions off and on for periods that lasted anywhere from 30 min. to 6 hours about 10 days before Sam was born, so we were on the ready during that time.  Then last Saturday evening she started to have more and unlike the other times, they lasted through the night and on into Sunday all day.  We stayed home, like our midwives and Lamaze instructor told us, right up until she started into active labor (which is when the contractions start coming on very strong and about 3-4 minutes apart.)  This pic is Jess calmly, patiently working through them at home...notice the clock nearby used to time the contractions :)  ...


So at about 11:00 pm on Sunday our midwife told us it was time to come in so our dear friend and neighbor, Cyndi Harrod, drove us to the Birthing Center at Roosevelt Hospital.  Cyndi was an awesome chauffeur--better than any taxi driver in NYC--as she found the quickest route through construction zones and the falling snow.  By the time we arrived, Jess was really feeling the contractions so she would walk a bit and stop to have them as we made our way through the building.  Our midwife, Rebecca, met us there a little before midnight and for the next several hours she helped Jess find the best position to be in as she worked through each contraction.

By around 3 a.m. Jessica was so exhausted that she was literally falling asleep for about 1-2 minutes between contractions.  Then at 5:30, Rebecca said it was time to start pushing and for the next hour and a half I witnessed one of the most amazing feats of bravery and strength amidst difficulty and pain that I have ever seen a person display.   There were three people in the room helping her:  Rebecca (midwife), Elizabeth (nurse), and me.  I got to be right in the middle of the whole process and I can tell you that she was absolutley amazing!!!  She did so good!  And no drugs, epidural or anything!  Wow!  It was the hardest thing I have ever seen someone go through, and with God's help she did it!!!  I love her so much for it!

So, Sam came as I said at 7:03 am.  Honestly I was thrilled to see Sam, but most of my attention was on Jess for that brief moment.  After watching her go through that I was just so relieved to see her relief!  I touched my head to hers and told her how good she did and just helped her lay back and relax.  It was all so surreal because it then occurred to me that she had just had a baby that we didn't know what the sex was since we wanted to be surprised.  So I snapped up looked over as Rebecca was quickly cleaning the baby and saw what it was.  Then I just about lost it.  Tears came and I leaned in close to tell her with whispered excitement that she had a boy!  Little Sam Chambers had finally arrived!  After 8 1/2 years of marriage, we were a family for the first time!  

And that's little Sam's story.  The rest are pictures after the event.  Enjoy!  
-Andy




Minutes after giving birth to Sam...beautiful!












Sam getting cleaned and all the fluid out of his lungs.  Poor guy. :(
















Baby's first moment with Daddy





Some quality time with Mommy.


















The following pics are from our weekly "Pasta Monday Night."  Every Monday we have a regular event of eating pasta with our neighbors, The Harrods.  Since this Monday we were at the hospital, they brought the party to us and we all hung out and ordered pasta from a nearby restaurant.  
Chris Harrod with Sam.  Papa Harrod has been waiting a long time to hold another brand new baby!

Dalton Harrod with Sam.  Dalton said "This is one of the best moments of my life!"

Kellan Harrod and Sam.  Kellan's ready to teach Sam a few things about football.

Cyndi Harrod with Baby Sam.  I told ya he was long!

And we're finally home!









20 comments:

R.C. said...

Hooray!!!! Hello, Sam!! (hello, Andy and Jess, too) Amazing, you guys! He is beautiful. So glad to hear that everybody is doing well. We love and miss you! We'll have to plan a trip up there soon. God bless your little family.

Father, you are soooo good! I lift up the Biddys to you, and ask for your protection and blessing on them. Be with Sam as he grows. Be with Andy and Jessica as they seek you in raising this wonderful blessing. We know the plans you have for them all will bring you glory and give them a future with hope. Praise you, Father! In your mighty name I pray...Amen!! and Amen!!

Andre Nunes said...

Congrats guys! He looks awesome. I am so happy for all of you. I wish you many blessings.

stephsuhre said...

Congratulations, you two! What an amazing story, Andy. All good things come from pain. Can't wait to get my hands on that lil' guy.

Jess, sidebar: my bueno coupons arrived...

JJ, Steph, Charlie and Baby G said...

Yay! He is so perfect! Many blessings, Biddy Bunch! We love you 3 so much. Love, The Ballard Bunch

The Magills (Matt and Megan) said...

Oh Biddys we are rejoicing with you! Jessica you are my new hero! We can't wait to meet Sam and love on mom and dad. Let us know when we can drop by for a quick visit...would also love to bring a meal!
In His Perfect Love,
Matt, Megan and Maggie Magill

Kendra said...

Congratulations, Biddys! I can't wait to meet the little miracle! Love to you all!

Andy said...

Unbelievable...I am so excited for you guys. Congratulations and I pray the favor and blessings of Jesus over you both and little Sam. I love you guys.

Andy

Tobias Valdez said...

Wow! Congrats to you all! What a joy the birth of a child is! Glad to hear everyone is doing great. Loved the pics Andy! Thanks for keeping us in the loop with you guys.

Father bless Andy, Jessica and Sam as they have begun a new leg of their journey together. Let peace surround their home as they continue to rest. May Sam be blessed in Your favor, wisdom and grace. Give Andy and Jessica Your strength and draw them ever closer to You and to one another, in Jesus' name! Amen!

Angela said...

I am so proud for you two. Way to go Jess, you did amazing. Sam is absolutely breathtaking. I sat here reading your story and had tears running down my face. He's finally here; we love you guys and can't wait to meet Sam. Give him lots of kisses from us.
Love, Michael, Angela & Will

Nina said...

What a beautiful little boy! Congratulations to you two! I have a new grandson, Colton Thomas (Colt), born Dec. 18 and adopted by John and Jessica Anderson, and he's pretty special around here. I'm so happy for you!

Nina

Anonymous said...

Hey Biddy's. I am so happy for you. What a happy baby you have to get parents like you. Much grace and love as you love your little Sam. Thankyou father for blessing this couple. My heart is full for you.
Much love.
Gina Hambleton

Unknown said...

Yeah - congratulations on Sam's arrival. So happy for you guys!

Hannah G said...

What a beautiful story... and what a beautiful baby! You guys are going to be GREAT parents! Congratulations from the bottom of my heart... Love you guys :)

Unknown said...

Congratulations and way to go Biddy Family! I love the name Sam...so strong! Blessings to your family!

Kris Shaw said...

Andy Biddy! I can't even begin to tell you how shocked I was to get an email from you. It has been years and years and years and the fact that you had my email tickles me pink! I couldn't be more happy for you guys and I'm so happy for this little boy who was brought into such a wonderful family. What a lucky guy...I'm totally jealous! Congrats and much love to the three of you!!

Kris Shaw

annafit4life said...

The story, the emotion, the baby, moved me to tears. This miracle is so touching. I love it! I love it! I love it! And I love you guys! Blessings have come in 2009. More, Lord!

Gill Family said...

Congrats to you both. Long time since we have talked, but so glad to hear the news. You all look great. Enjoy every moment, it goes so fast. Check out my family if you want. www.srhgill.blogspot.com
I'll put you on my favs!

Anonymous said...

Andy & Jessica,

Congratulations with your baby boy, Sam!

We heard the good news,
So it's hip, hip, hooray!
We're so happy for you,
And we hope and we pray
That your brand new addition
Is a wonderful treasure,
And along with the work,
He brings joy beyond measure.

We hope to see Sam & Elijah play someday!

John, Karen & Elijah Barsoum

Jennifer Baker-Ritter said...

Jessica, you look amazing. I can't believe you just had a baby in that picture. I have a Sam, too. Actually,he's a Samuel. And we have an Elijah. I'm praying that your Sam is as easy going as both of mine were...until year 3 hit...oh my...Congrats!

Six in the Mix said...

Congratulations! A beautiful baby and a beautiful family. May you enjoy the blessings as God floods them over you.