Sunday, August 31, 2008

Baby's first NY appointment - 20 weeks

We found a practice of midwives that we've decided to go with as we prepare for the birth of baby biddy.  They are qualified, kind, and willing to work with us financially due to the fact that we have no maternity insurance.  This past Thursday was our first appointment and quite fun one.  After gathering some personal and family medical history, the midwife asked us what we do for a living.  I answered first (simply and honestly) and then Andy proceeded with a straight face to say that he was a "professional weight lifter".  Unfortunately, there wasn't much time for her to believe him because I was bowled over laughing.  I love that Andy hasn't lost his sense of humor in the midst of this major transition.  Once we got through the paper work and Andy's hilarity, it was time to check baby's heart beat with the Doppler 5000.  Well, I don't know that it's really a 5000 but I found it quite amusing as a born and raised Oklahoman, that baby biddy was being checked by an instrument with the same name as Gary England's reliable weather predictor.  Love it!  I don't know how much baby liked the doppler being rubbed on my stomach.  Even though there was no pressure, baby decided to take a swing at the stick.  I've felt the baby quite a bit in the past couple of weeks, but this was the first time that I've actually seen my skin rise almost an inch off the curve of my stomach.  Once I collected myself from another spout of laughter, we got to hear the heart beat.  It sounded great and the midwife said that everything looks like it is going well.  We are thankful indeed.  For those who are wondering and have been asking... no, we still haven't decided whether or not we are going to find out what the gender is.  We'll let you know soon what the verdict is.

Blessings!  - Jessica

Attached is a picture at 18 or 19 weeks.  I definitely have what many like to refer to as the "bump".  :)

2 comments:

Babione 6 said...

You look so great!!! Yay for baby!

Love you guys!

Bridget

R.C. said...

My wife beat me to all the cheerleading, but Yay!! anyway!!

Plus, we didn't find out what the sex of our first three children were. We did with the last one, but withheld the name, so there was still some element of surprise.

I like surprises.

Most of the time.